Monday, August 15, 2011

day in Bern.

So after our 2 hour visit to the Goetheanum in Dornach, Roel and I continued our journey to Bern, Switzerland's capital. I had been there before, 7 years ago in the winter, and remembered it to be a town with an old centre that was not built in the Middle Ages, but evoked a medieval atmosphere.

From our camping site, we could walk along the river Aar (Aare in German) to the city center. We only had to climb the rock on which Bern was originally built. When we were on top, we fell in the middle of tourists crowds, which sucked, so we tried to avoid them as well as we could, although that was very hard.


We walked towards the West, where we found a nice local market, bought some local delicacies (Patties) and ate them on the Bundesplatz (Parliament Square), where they have very photogenic fountains with kids running through. We sat there for over an hour, bought some more food and enjoyed the warm, yet unsunny weather.






When we decided it was time to move again, we went eastwards, towards the Bärengraben (bear pit). We passed some vintage stores, filled with cool things, but the best thing I saw was a blow fish, made into a lamp. I WANT that as a bed side lamp (it's illegal though). I was very tempted to take one home, but didn't.
We came across the Münster of Bern, the cathedral of Bern, went inside, because it was free, enjoyed the nice stained glass and the lovely ceiling (like I've never seen before in a cathedral), heard someone playing organ (favorite instrument of my late grandfather), loathed it, and went outside again. Then we had to hurry to my cousin's place, because he invited us for dinner. No pictures of that, though.


I have a very full schedule tomorrow, but hopefully I will fill you in on the second day in Bern soon. Over dinner my cousin gave Roel and me some tips to see a more alternative side of Bern, so we went to some squatting places.

X.